Spring on the farm is one of my favorite times of year. In Iowa long winters are the norm, so when the days grow longer and the sun tickles my face with warmth once again, I am more than eager to put cabin fever behind me.
Here are a few of the things I look most forward to this time of year:
- My favorite thing about spring on the farm is baby calves. There’s nothing cuter than watching them take their first steps and then run and play in the pasture with all their little buddies.
- Spring wouldn’t be the same without planting a vegetable garden. Each year I swear it will be smaller than the year before, but so far that hasn’t happened. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. Or, maybe that saying, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” comes into play here.
- Filling my planters with colorful flowers and waiting from them to overflow the pots always adds a bright spot to my day (literally.) The flowers on the ground in the picture were all volunteer last year. Though the ground is covered with small landscaping rocks, I rather liked the effect and hope they pop up again this year.
- Watching the birds flit around and tease the cats is always fun.
- A tire swing hanging in the backyard reminds me of youth and all the days our kids spent playing on it. Kids and swinging on a warm spring day goes hand in hand.
- Of course, spring on the farm wouldn’t be complete without a new litter of kitties. Aren’t they just too stinkin’ cute?
What are some of your favorite things about spring?